Thursday, August 23, 2007

Carvin Cobalt C850 Acoustic Electric Guitar Review - Can It Compete With The Big Dogs?

The Carvin C850T is an acoustic-electric cutaway guitar that expressions similar to many other high-end manufacturer theoretical accounts such as as the amazing St Martin D-16GTE. Hey if you're gonna expression like somethin', the D-16GTE is a great guitar to emulate! The acoustic dreadnaught cutaway drawing style the C850 transports have got to be one of, if not THE most popular style of acoustic guitar. This type of guitar is being played in music pictures and concerts in just about every genre of music these days. The Carvin looks the part, but I learned long ago that you can't really justice a guitar by it's looks. I have got played many great looking guitars over the old age that truly sounded awful to my ears.

Carvin's website states that the Cobalt series guitars are inspected in their United States usage store for the ultimate in tone of voice and playability. This line is built by manus in a reputable mill in Korea, and then concluding apparatus is accomplished at their United States mill before the guitars ship out to the end-user. Online reappraisals are quite positive, and one of the grounds I make up one's mind to seek the Cobalt C850T myself. Another factor in my purchase determination was that everyone I talked to personally who owned a Carvin Cobalt acoustic absolutely loved it! Not cupboard musicians, but people who play day-in day-out nighttime after night and still rave about the Carvin. I just had to see what the dither was all about!

The purchase procedure was quite simple, and with a few chinks of the mouse, my order was complete and the guitar was scheduled to transport out. Within 4 days, I was anxiously retrieving it from my doorstep.

The guitar I purchased was very impressive. Right out of the case, the C850's action was low and perfect for me. Maybe that had something to make with Carvin's Rapid Play™ low action neck. Guitarists who play really hard, will probably necessitate to set the action up a bit, so that twines won't buzz. It's that low right from the factory. A good guitar technical school will acquire it perfect for heavy handed players.

I compared this guitar side-by-side with one of my other guitars, a St Martin DC-16GTEP. The guitars look very similar, and both have got first-class Fishman electronics for playing through a dad system, acoustic amp, or direct recording. The built-in tuner is also a great feature. I would give the nod to the Carvin for plugged in sound through a PA, as it's E.Q. seemed more than antiphonal than the similar system in the Martin. The St Martin did have got a capacitor mic along with the under saddle pickup, but I turned that off for the comparison. Recording nods would have got to travel to the St Martin because it have a built-in condenser mic, and it enters very well making a great mic'd acoustic sound when recorded. But any acoustic can be mic'd externally, and I was able to acquire some nice acoustic recordings using the C850 and a couple of good capacitor mics placed on stands in presence of the guitar.

The unplugged tone of voice of the guitar wasn't as loud and boomy as the Martin, but the C850 makes have got a heavy gloss coating (the St St Martin had a gloss top, with satin back and sides), and it takes some clip for any solid spruce-topped guitar to age and easygoing out a bit. As it ages, I'd conceive of that the C850T will give many a more than expensive guitar a tally for it's money in the tone of voice department.

Construction quality on the Carvin was really as good or better than any other acoustic-electric guitar within $700 of it's price scope that I've inspected, St Martin and and Deems Taylor included. Let me state you, that is saying a lot. The quality is there, with no unsightly gum points or jagged stew edges, and a beautiful gloss coating is included on the whole guitar, that come ups at a insurance premium on similar St Martin and Deems Taylor models.

I played the Carvin at respective gigs, and believe it or not, each clip people came up to me after the concert commenting on how great the guitar sound was. So the action was great, the sound was impressive, and the C850T looked great. Did I advert that there is a 5 twelvemonth guarantee against manufacturing defects too? Can the Carvin vie with the Big Dogs of the acoustic world? In my opinion, it certainly can, and at a mid-level price point that is much more than comfy on the depository financial institution business relationship than anything stopping point in quality and workmanship that I've seen.

No comments: